Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Questions..

The World bank is an organization that loans/gives money to charities and organizations for good causes. It is important to get information from many countries so that the data is universalized.

Poverty is a very extreme, devastating and serious factor that is adding to the constantly increasing death rate in the world. The difference between poverty and extreme poverty is that with poverty, you may only have 1 or 2 meals a day, where as sometimes in extreme poverty you have to choose whether to clench your child's hunger, or your own.

A poverty trap is when you can't get out of poverty easily because you don't have an education or any qualifications for a job. The world bank defines poverty as a person that earns under $1.25 a day 1.4 billion people live under the poverty line in the world.

In this video, I discovered that 850 billion people go to sleep hungry every night. Worse than this, 22,000 people die EVERY day from extreme poverty. The numbers have improved, in 1981 there were 4 in every 10 people living in extreme poverty, now there are fewer than 1 in 4.

There are organizations online such as unicef, world bank etc that are give and get loans for helping build houses and get clean water and donate a lot of money for the countries in trouble. I have seen poverty many times, around the streets, shops and every time I see it, it makes me feel bad, especially after I have been shopping. Seeing these people, in need and desperate for food and money, begging for money from strangers because it is their only chance. Sometimes I imagine myself in their situation and it's awful to think like that because I can't imagine sleeping on the streets, having people walking past with shopping bags, food, expensive items and wish that it was my life. I feel awful, and I want to do as much as I can for the people I see, but I feel powerless

No comments:

Post a Comment